Summer 2022 U-Pass Important Dates & Waiting Periods
The Summer CTA U-Pass program will be considerably different than in the Fall and Spring semester.
- CTA has extended the flexible enrollment option for Summer 22.
- For Summer 2022, the CTA U-Pass will be available for any full-time summer session student that elects to OPT-IN prior to a June 19th deadline. Unfortunately, no exceptions can be made to missing this deadline.
- All students are OPT-OUT by default (including staff taking a summer course load)
- Full-time is defined as 5 credit hours for graduate students in the Graduate College and School of Public Health or 6 credit hours students in the College of Pharmacy‚ College of Dentistry‚ Doctorate of Physical Therapy‚ & College of Medicine.
- Student that wish to participate in the U-PASS program must OPT-IN
- Summer U-Pass will be active from May 11, 2022 through August 10, 2022
- The deadline to OPT-IN for Summer 2021 UPASS is June 19th at Midnight (central)
- After June 19th, the OPT-status cannot change for the duration of the summer session
- This benefit is only available to full-time (6+ credit hours for Undergraduate/Professional, 5+ credit hours Graduate) summer session students.
- Students who drop below full-time status prior to the add/drop deadline will have their U-Pass deactivated.
- Students who OPT-IN but are not registered as full-time students will not be eligible and will not be assessed the fee.
For students with existing U-Pass cards, the standard policies on lost/replacement cards will still be enforced.
Summer 2022 U-Pass OPT-IN Application: https://go.uic.edu/summer_upass
UIC and CTA entered into an experimental pilot program to include some part-time students (6 credit hours or more) for the Spring and Fall Semestsers starting Fall 2020 and this continues for Spring 2022. The Spring CTA U-PASS will be available to any student with 6 or more credit hours by default. CTA also continues to offer flexibility by allowing UIC to administer the U-PASS program as optional. All students are opted in by default. You may opt-out and waive the CTA Transportation Fee at https://go.uic.edu/spring_upass.
- The deadline to opt-out for the Spring 2022 U-PASS is January 30, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. CDT.
- After January 30, 2022 the opt-status cannot change for the duration of the semester.
- Students who drop below part-time status (6 credit hours) prior to the add/drop deadline will have their U-PASS deactivated.
- All students are opted-in by default unless otherwise specified by the student at the website above.
- Students that opt-out may see the U-PASS fee assessed on their university bill, but that charge will be reversed within 7-10 business days.
January 5, 2022
Continuing student U-Passes activated. U-Pass distribution will occur at the ID Center office in SCE. Please bring your valid UIC iCard in order to pick-up the U-Pass. After August 24, new student U-Passes available for pickup at ID Center in Student Center East (SCE).
May 11, 2022
Final day of activation for semester. This is the final day U-Passes can be used without adding separate funds for use on CTA busses and trains.
*Students in the College of Dentistry, College of Medicine, and the Corporate MBA program may have start and end dates that differ from those listed above.
Becoming Eligible after December 22, 2022
Returning students with a non-expired Ventra U-Pass who register after the above date or make changes their Opt-status on our web application will see an activation delay of up to 4 business days. This delay may be extended by university or CTA closures, specifically prior to the Spring semester.
New students (including transfer students) who register after the above date will see a 6-8 business day delay in production and delivery of their U-Pass to the ID Center.
Determining if your U-Pass is Active Heading link
To determine if your U-Pass is active, visit ventrachicago.com. After logging in with your card’s serial number and expiration date, you can check that 1) your card has a balance of $0.00 or greater and 2) under the ‘Passes’ section, the U-Pass is listed.