Spring 2023 U-Pass Important Dates & Waiting Periods
UIC and CTA entered into an experimental pilot program to include some part-time students (6 credit hours or more) during Fall and spring Semesters starting Fall 2020 and this continues for Spring 2023. The Spring 2023 CTA U-PASS will be available to any student with 6 or more credit hours. CTA also continues to offer flexibility by allowing UIC to administer the U-PASS program as optional. All students are required to opt-in, confirming that they want a CTA U-Pass and agreeing to be charged the CTA Transit fee on their Bursar account. You may opt-in to the program and the associated CTA Transportation Fee at https://go.uic.edu/spring_upass.
- The deadline to opt-in for the Spring 2022 U-PASS is January 29, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. CDT.
- After January 29, 2023 the opt-status cannot change for the duration of the semester.
- Students who drop below part-time status (6 credit hours) prior to the add/drop deadline will have their U-PASS deactivated.
- All students are opted-out by default unless otherwise specified by the student at the website above.
- Students that opt-in and meet the credit hour requirement will have a non-refundable CTA U-PASS fee assessed on their university bill. The charge may not appear on your statement until after the 10th day of classes.
January 4, 2023
Continuing student U-Passes activated. U-Pass distribution for new students will occur in the ID Center in SCE*. Please bring your valid UIC iCard in order to pick-up the U-Pass.
*UIC Law and College of Medicine may have alternate pick up locations. Students in those colleges should check with their college for details.
May 10, 2022
Final day of activation for semester. This is the final day U-Passes can be used without adding separate funds for use on CTA busses and trains.
*Students in the College of Dentistry, College of Medicine, and the Corporate MBA program may have start and end dates that differ from those listed above.
Becoming Eligible after December 22, 2022
Returning students with a non-expired Ventra U-Pass who register or opt-in after the above date or make changes their Opt-status on our web application will see an activation delay of 1-3 business days. This delay may be extended by university or CTA closures, specifically prior to the Spring semester.
New students (including transfer students) who register or opt-in after the above date will see a 6-8 business day delay in production and delivery of their U-Pass to the ID Center.
For students with existing U-Pass cards, the standard policies on lost/replacement cards will still be enforced.
Determining if your U-Pass is Active Heading link
To determine if your U-Pass is active, visit ventrachicago.com. After logging in with your card’s serial number and expiration date, you can check that 1) your card has a balance of $0.00 or greater and 2) under the ‘Passes’ section, the U-Pass is listed.