Fall 2021 U-Pass Important Dates & Waiting Periods
UIC and CTA entered into an experimental pilot program to include some part-time students (6 credit hours or more) starting Fall 2020 and this continues for Fall 2021. The Fall 2021 CTA U-PASS will be available to any student with 6 or more credit hours by default. CTA also continues to offer flexibility by allowing UIC to administer the U-PASS program as optional. All students are opted in by default. You may opt-out and waive the CTA Transportation Fee at https://go.uic.edu/fall_upass.
- The deadline to opt-out for the Fall 2021 U-PASS is September 12 at 11:59 p.m. CDT.
- After September 12, 2021 the opt-status cannot change for the duration of the semester.
- Students who drop below part-time status (6 credit hours) prior to the add/drop deadline will have their U-PASS deactivated.
- All students are opted-in by default unless otherwise specified by the student at the website above.
- Students that opt-out may see the U-PASS fee assessed on their university bill, but that charge will be reversed within 7-10 business days.
August 18, 2021
Continuing student U-Passes activated. U-Pass distribution will occur August 18, 19, 20, 23, and 24 from 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM in the Bowling Alley in SCE. Please bring your valid UIC iCard in order to pick-up the U-Pass. After August 24, new student U-Passes available for pickup at ID Center in Student Center East (SCE).
December 15, 2021
Final day of activation for semester. This is the final day U-Passes can be used without adding separate funds for use on CTA busses and trains.
*Students in the College of Dentistry, College of Medicine, and the Corporate MBA program may have start and end dates that differ from those listed above.
Becoming Eligible after August 01, 2021
Returning students with a non-expired Ventra U-Pass who register after the above date or make changes their Opt-status on our web application will see an activation delay of up to 4 business days. This delay may be extended by university or CTA closures, specifically prior to the Spring semester.
New students (including transfer students) who register after the above date will see a 6-8 business day delay in production and delivery of their U-Pass to the ID Center.
Determining if your U-Pass is Active
To determine if your U-Pass is active, visit ventrachicago.com. After logging in with your card’s serial number and expiration date, you can check that 1) your card has a balance of $0.00 or greater and 2) under the ‘Passes’ section, the U-Pass is listed.