The CTA Ventra U-PASS is provided to eligible students during enrolled terms. The Ventra U-PASS provides unlimited use of CTA trains and buses. Distribution for new students is conducted in the Student Center East Building. You need to bring your valid i-card to pick up your U-Pass.
The U-PASS program is optional. All eligible students (see eligibility page) are assessed the $163 CTA Transportation Fee for each of the Fall and Spring semesters. UIC also participates in the Summer U-PASS program. This fee for the summer is $125. The Summer U-PASS is available for the entirety of all portions of the summer term.
U-PASS Distribution Heading link
The CTA Ventra U-PASS is always valid the Wednesday prior to the start of instruction according to the UIC Academic Calendar through the Wednesday following finals week. Differing schedules may exist for students in the College of Dentistry, College of Medicine, and Corporate MBA program. Your Ventra U- Pass card is valid for five years. Discarding your pass is considered a lost pass and a $50 replacement fee will apply.
Summer-specific U-PASS Notes Heading link
- Your status as a full-time student is based on the aggregate credit hours registered for the entirety of summer. See Eligibility for specific credit hour requirements.
- All full-time students are eligible for the U-PASS for the entirety of the Summer Session. Whether or not your course meets in the 4-week session‚ 8-week session‚ or both makes no difference.
- Students are assessed the CTA Transportation fee based on their registered credit hours and their opt-in status. This includes regular UIC students‚ and those taking courses at UIC for the summer or as part of many continuing education programs, including full time employees of the university.
- Students must be registered as full-time students prior to picking up their U-PASS. Intent to register for either session will not be acceptable. Students may be asked to verify their schedule.
Distribution Policies Heading link
- Your valid i-card is required to pick up your U-PASS.
- You may not pick up another student’s U-PASS.
- You must currently be registered for the required number of credit hours and have a status of opted-in for the current semester.
Paratransit Service for Eligible Students Heading link
Students who are unable to use fixed route public transportation due to a disability, may be eligible for the Paratransit Service, a shared ride program offered by the Regional Transit Authority (RTA).
The U-Pass program at UIC is available to eligible students who are Paratransit riders; however, students must be certified by the RTA in order to use the service and must be set to OPT-IN for the CTA U-Pass. Students may be asked for the certification letter from RTA as proof of their certification to use Paratransit Service. Since the CTA’s U-PASS is not valid for travel on Paratransit, the ID Center and Disability Resource Center will consult with the student to provide an adequate number of PACE ADA One Ride Tickets.
An overview of the ADA Paratransit Service offered by the RTA and the application process can be found at www.rtachicago.com/accessibility/ada-paratransit-service-guidelines.html. Students should allow ample time for certification, as it may take up to a month to complete the process. For additional details, please contact the ID Center (312-413-5940) or the Disability Resource Center (312-413-2183).